jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com>
Subject improving efficiency
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:12:30 GMT
I'm working on a CMS based on Jackrabbit.  The UI is a RIA, of sorts.
The user is presented with a file tree structure.  If they are at the
root folder, then the tree is pretty big.  I *need* to have the whole
data model in order to build the file tree in the UI, but it's an
obviously costly act.    I'm now trying to determine my options for
making this process more efficient.  Here's a couple I've thought of,
and I'm hoping that someone will provide some guidance.

1) I could load only a portion of the tree, then use Ajax techniques
to lazy load the deeper folders in the tree as the user works through
them

2) I could implement a caching layer in my application that holds the
tree structure.  It could track it's stale branches and only refresh
those when necessary

3) I'm thinking that I could somehow just use the Jackrabbit API
better . . . really, all I need are the names of the children;
currently I'm creating the "folder" and "document" objects for the
whole tree as I create the tree.  Perhaps it's cleaner to just get the
children by name, or uuid.

How have other people handled this?