jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Guillaume Belrose <kafe...@gmail.com>
Subject Using JCR to implement an -indexed and searchable- event log
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:29:31 GMT
'Hi all,

I've been implementing a light weight media asset management service
using JackRabbit which will soon be rolled out in production to
customers. The service provides a RESTful HTTP interface to allow
clients to organize media assets in "folders" which are implemented as
JCR nodes with custom properties. I would like to be able to keep
track of important events such as creation and deletion of assets so
that those actions can be indexed and searched for by an
administrator.

I was thinking of storing each core event as a jcr node with
properties to record time-stamp and various type information and I am
wondering if this is suitable approach.I am aware that JackRabbit
struggles to scale if a given node contains a large (i.e. over 10000 )
number of children nodes. I guess to go around this problem, I could
store events by using a node structure modelled after the date (year
--> month --> day) when events occur. This would certainly limit the
number of nodes to be stored at any given level.

I am wondering if people in the community have used JackRabbit to
implement such a searchable event log feature before.

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume.