jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: behavour of workspace.copy()
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:21:33 GMT
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> The specification says that copying into an existing node can do a
> sort of smart update or throw an ItemExistsException, depending upon
> the implementation.  What does Jackrabbit do?  I can observe what
> happens, but I'd like to know all the details.

i guess you're refering to the following phrase (javadoc):

<quote>
When a node N is copied to a location where a node N' already exists,
the repository may either immediately throw an ItemExistsException or
attempt to update the node N' by selectively replacing part of its
subgraph with a copy of the relevant part of the subgraph of N. If the
node types of N and N' are compatible, the implementation supports
update-on-copy for these node types and no other errors occur, then
the copy will succeed. Otherwise an ItemExistsException is thrown.
</quote>

jackrabbit does not support "update-on-copy". this 'feature' has been
introduced
relatively late in the jsr-283 development cycle, the justification
being improved
WebDAV/Delta-V (RFC 3253) compatibility.

cheers
stefan