jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From hwellmann <harald.wellm...@multi-m.de>
Subject Re: How to avoid sequential scans in queries
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:46:55 GMT

OK. so XPath and SQL are deprecated but fast, SQL2 is current but slow (and
has rather clumsy syntax, for my taste,  compared to XPath).

This raises a couple of questions:

1) On the implementation side: For a "production-ready implementation of JCR
2.0" (quoted from Jackrabbit homepage), I would expect production-ready
performance.

Meanwhile I've found similar and more detailed observations from other users
(http://jackrabbit.510166.n4.nabble.com/Performance-of-SQL-2-versus-XPATH-td1590422.html).
I think it's ok for a reference implementation to be functionally correct
but not optimized, but production-ready is another story...

It would be fair at least to add some words of warning on the relevant wiki
page (http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Search).

2) On the specification side: Why on earth was XPath deprecated? Even when
the SQL2 implementation gets improved, the syntax remains cumbersome. (I
realize this is a JCR and not a Jackrabbit question....)

3) Is it safe to implement a new application with Jackrabbit 2.x and XPath
query syntax? Will Jackrabbit continue to support XPath in all 2.x releases?

Best regards,
Harald