jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Cory Prowse <c...@prowse.com>
Subject Re: Example project showing Issue JCR-2701
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:10:15 GMT
Firstly because it neatly separates the JCR dependencies from the deployed application (no
Jackrabbit files at all in the EAR/WAR, just the JCR API jar).

Secondly, it separates all of the configuration of JCR away from the application and into
the application server (aka deployment time).  The application has no requirement to know
about anything but the single JNDI resource.

Thirdly, it allows for easier management and monitoring of the JCR resource (ie: monitor the
thread pool etc... allowing to see what the JCR resource utilises separate to the application
that uses it, so you can see the separate CPU/Memory/Network usage of the JCR to the application
- much more useful than the CPU/Memory/etc.. of the application and JCR bundled into one -
or at least making it a lot more difficult to report on the separate stats).

Lastly, it's the "vibe".  ;)

These were only the first that came to mind, there could be more.

 -- Cory

On 09/09/2010, at 4:46 AM, Justin Edelson wrote:

> Cory-
> Just curious... why is the JCA packaging so attractive to you?
>
> Justin
>
> On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Cory Prowse <cory@prowse.com> wrote:
>
>> Firstly, apologies for the duplicate email (bad network connection atm).
>>
>> I'll have a crack at it in a week or so, will probably pester the list for insights
into code (or should I send to dev list? it seems to be mostly SCM commits).

>> Shame to hear it might be deprecated as that would be my preferred deployment on
JEE.