jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JCR docs - bridging the gap with users (was: Spring configuration?)
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:23:29 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Joseph Ottinger <joeo@enigmastation.com> wrote:
> ...while I like Sling, I find the docs on it
> are, um, missing - the 15 minute tutorial isn't bad but it's nowhere near
> complete enough for people to really use sling without being pretty
> dedicated to using it in the first place....

Agree with that, and we've had a GSoC project this year to try and
bridge that gap:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/GSoC+2010+mini-CMS+project

It's not fully integrated in the Sling docs yet, but I think having a
more substantial example will help.

> ...I really, really don't like using curl for putting content into a
> repository. Probably a visceral reaction on my part, but there it is....

Well, curl is IMO a very good way of demonstrating a RESTful system.

Of course you also need example apps etc. later.

> It really bothers me that Jackrabbit is so far off from being
> datastore-neutral; I understand it's just the way things are, and there's a
> path away from it, but it still bothers me because it SHOULDN'T be hard to
> be datastore-neutral (or close to it.)...

I'm not a Jackrabbit committer but I think that's one of the goals of
the next generation of Jackrabbit.

-Bertrand