jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From aimran <aimra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help with JCR 2 access control
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:46:41 GMT

I tried that. Apparently there is no way to set permissions at root level.
Everyone gets read access. Also, it seems that there is no way to set
permission such as NO_ACCESS. Everybody gets a read access. So, if I want to
set two top level nodes, DEPT1 & DEPT2, they they both get ready view to
each other. Cant get them to hide from each other.

Another problem I found is that you have to create a user before you can
apply the permissions. I didn't find a way to change the password. It is a
common scenario for users to change password.

There is literally no documentation on the access control feature [apart
from spec, which doesn't talk about usage] so I am forced to believe that
this is an experimental feature and will take some time to become usable in
real life scenarios.

Setting access control in LDAP or RDBMS is such a piece of cake. JCR is so
weird and convoluted. Ah well, back to relational database [by the time I
have this figured out, I can have my app working in MySQL]...

Tip to developers: Please make it simpler such as
node.setPermission(Principal p, Privileges[] priv);. Whats with the 30 lines
of code to get iterators, looping, creating users, casting...