jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Faceted Search Implementation
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:31:40 GMT

On 25 Aug 2010, at 10:19, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:43, Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is there a count(*) function in JCR queries?
>
> No, but adding an "order by @jcr:score" will force the Jackrabbit
> implementation to count. It is slower than not doing so, but any other
> count() function will be slow as well, afaics, because - as you noted
> - of the required ACL and other checks that need to be done on top of
> the Lucene index.

yes, we've tried to avoid that since most result sets are > 20k items although the user
is only ever interested in the first few pages and will accept a count feeback of "> 1000".
Unfortunately we don't have enough data on all the content and keywords to do a statistical
estimate of the number of items in a result set... and even if we did, permissions would make
that rather pointless.

But thank you for the pointer.
Ian