jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Robert Campbell <rrc...@gmail.com>
Subject Switching 2.1.0 RAR to PostgreSQLPersistenceManager
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:31:15 GMT
Right now we're using a default RAR distribution in JBoss which our
webapp connects to over JNDI. When the repository is booted for the
first time, it creates a default repository.xml, which contains:

    <FileSystem class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">
        <param name="path" value="${rep.home}/repository"/>
    </FileSystem>

in the Repository, Versioning, and Workspace tags. There is also:

        <PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.pool.DerbyPersistenceManager">
          <param name="url" value="jdbc:derby:${wsp.home}/db;create=true"/>
          <param name="schemaObjectPrefix" value="${wsp.name}_"/>
        </PersistenceManager>

in the Versioning and Workspace tags, and:

   <DataStore class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.FileDataStore"/>

in the Repository tag.

It's not clear to me how these entries interact, even after reading
the Wiki article on persistence. Do they mean that Jackrabbit persists
_everything_ to Derby, which then uses the local file system? Or - as
I suspect - does it mean that actual binary files/blobs are stored as
files (FileDataStore) on the local file system, but that version and
workspace data is stored in Derby?

I'm trying to understand step by step how we can move _everything_
over into Postgres. We're doing this because our operations folks have
heavily invested in PG knowledge/infrastructure/backup systems/etc.
We'd like the ability to flip the switch on our Postgres backup
solutions and have our entire repo backed up live (no downtime to the
app).

Thank you,

Rob Campbell