jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Torgeir Veimo <torg...@netenviron.com>
Subject Re: Issue while re-registering node types
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:10:25 GMT
On 17 August 2010 12:46, Alexander Klimetschek <aklimets@day.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:04, Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@netenviron.com> wrote:
>> On 17 August 2010 11:43, Davide Maestroni <davide.maestroni@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> thanks for the suggestion. That could be a good workaround, though it is
>>> quite annoying that a bug in Jackrabbit code makes the  feature of automatic
>>> registration of node types in Sling unusable.
>>
>> Of course fixing this specific problem would be helpful, but it would
>> be even better if proper schema reconfiguration was available.
>
> What do you mean by this? Except for this bug, you can update node
> types directly, and if they are "conflicting", you can update them by
> unregistering/registering them, avoiding the diff check altogether.

I dont think this is really obvious for anyone except jackrabbit
developers. I think the code you posted earlier in this thread is the
first example I've ever seen that enables schema updates.

I think the appropriate functionality would be to support 'complex'
schema updates through the normal JCR 2.0 mechanism.

> Finally JCR is all about unstructured data,which generally solves the "my schema permanently
changes and I have change the schema in the database/repository" issue. So I completely fail
to see your point...

Aren't you talking about Sling here? JCR and Jackrabbit advertises
schema support, it's only when you dig a bit deeper you see that it's
a one way street, you can configure node types, but you can't change
them when you need to. Except if you're very experienced with
Jackrabbit internal though.

I don't think I'm the only one that has been bitten by this.

--
-Tor