jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: R: referencing versioned nodes
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:36:20 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 18:31, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure how literally to take this, but I wouldn't model (no pun intended) different
model years of a car with versions of the same node. Parts lists, recall notifications, user
manuals, etc. are disjoint from year to year.

I fully agree. Versioning should only be used for managing restricted
changes of a smaller constrained entity, but not for something that
could change completely and especially for something that is a
container for other, larger subentities (such as user manuals etc.).

Speaking in file system analogy, the car model is probably something
like a folder, and you don't want to version the folder, rather its
files. JCR supports versioning of subtrees, but this should IMHO only
be used for fine-grained subtrees inside files, not for outer
hierarchies.

Regards,
Alex

--