jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Brown <benjamin.br...@thisisnumero.com>
Subject RE: Double String escaping - is it needed?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:20:41 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Klimetschek [mailto:aklimets@day.com]
Sent: 10 August 2010 23:46
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Double String escaping - is it needed?

> Generally the escaping is necessary to differentiate between actually
> looking for that literal including a special character (which mostly
> isn't available in the full-text index anyway) or having those special
> characters be used as part of the lucene search syntax.

Thanks for the clarification - it's helped separate my understanding of the problem.

I don't actually need to have the special lucene characters as I'll be adding fields in future
such as "Must not include" etc. for which we'll substitute the lucene characters on behalf
of the user.

What this means is that the method I provided in the last post (but now using another method
name) is only suitable for our particular case as it provides for our requirements of escaping
the last character (side effect - by way of escaping lucene characters), escaping the lucene
characters, and removing single quotes.

Thanks,

Benjamin