jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Dunstall, Christopher" <cdunst...@csu.edu.au>
Subject Problems with hyphen in JSR-170 XPath query using jcr:contains
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:19:40 GMT
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with an XPath query, where I'm searching for users with hyphens in
their name.

I'm using:
jcr:contains(*/*/*,'query')

And it returns some odd results.

I have two users, Sophie-Allen and Sophie-Anne. When I search for 'sophie', I get back users
back. Ok, fine, but if I search for 'sophie-a' (with the hyphen escaped as 'sophie\-a' as
per the JSR-170 Spec) I get zero results returned.  Oddly, if I search for either 'sophie-allen'
or 'sophie-anne' I get the respective user details back fine. Shouldn't I get both users back
when escaping the hyphen? Have I missed something in the spec?

One other odd thing is the addition of an asterisk (*).  Searching for 'soph' and 'soph*'
return the same result (both users), but if I search for 'sophie-allen*', I get zero results,
unlike when searching for just 'sophie-allen'. Searching for 'sophie-a*' has the same result
as without the asterisk, i.e. nothing.

The JSR-170 spec doesn't say anything (that I can find) but is the asterisk a wildcard in
the jcr:contains function or does it serve some other purpose?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Chris Dunstall | Service Support - Applications
Technology Integration/OLE Virtual Team
Division of Information Technology | Charles Sturt University | Bathurst, NSW, Australia

Ph: 02 63384818 | Fax: 02 63384181