jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to store JackRabbit documents in two different datastores for one repository and yet index them with Lucene
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:15:00 GMT
Hi,

Actually I wouldn't consider this feature for Jackrabbit 3, instead I
would try to solve this problem using a "virtual repository" feature.

I think the storage of one repository should be at one place. If you
want to distribute / split storage, then use multiple repositories,
and logically combine those into one, using a "virtual repository"
feature (mount points). (This might be done automatically at some
point, but I think it's much more important to be able to split
manually like in Linux, because as a developer / user you know what
data goes together - software can't efficiently decide that.)

> I agree that such a configuration would be useful. I could imagine
> this being per-path, for example, one could say that /var or /tmp
> folders (as in Unix file systems) are served by in-memory persistence
> managers.

You can do that with virtual repositories as well. I think a virtual
repository is something like a mount point / device.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-2682

For me, it sounds like this is a slightly different problem: "Allow
the FileDataStore to scale over several millions of files" - it sounds
like it's just a scalability issue (where you don't care too much
which document is stored where; but you need a solution that can store
and backup a very large number of documents), not so much a mounting
issue (where you do care where exactly which document is stored).

Regards,
Thomas