jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Referring usage of JackRabbit in web application..
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:23:46 GMT
On 7/26/10 10:28 AM, Nitesh krishna P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to ECM and JCR..Need a basic information...
>
> I am trying to develop a web application which need to maintain documents (in
> storage) also other relevant data related to the document.
>
> I am thinking to use  JackRabbit API in my application to store/reterive/manage
> documents and Database to store relevant document data instead of a content
> management system.
You should use the JCR API and not useuse the Jackrabbit API unless you
absolutely have to.

> I am not sure if this is a valid approach to use JCR directly in the webApp and
> also any known issues by doing so like scalability etc.
It is valid, but given that Jackrabbit can handle the metadata, why not
store the documents and metadata in the same place (i.e. Jackrabbit)?

If you store the documents and metadata separately, you'll need to worry
about XA both with Jackrabbit and your database.

Justin