jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Ryan Hochstetler" <ryan.hochstet...@JETISRE.COM>
Subject Clustered Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:54:27 GMT
First the question, then the background:

Is it necessary to configure a <Journal> in the repository XML when one
and only one node is accessing a JCR datastore which is typically used
in a clustered configuration?  Is the <Journal> necessary for absolute
datastore coherency once the JCR has been configured in journaled mode,
or is it only used to keep concurrent readers and writers synchronized
with each other?

We have a two-node jackrabbit cluster which hosts our application
configuration data.  We use bundle.OraclePersistenceManager with
Jackrabbit hitting a non-jta datasource in JBoss.  It works nicely.  We
have a separate application which serves as a failsafe configuration
editor, in case an administrator manages to corrupt the configuration
and leave JBoss unbootable or crippled.  This separate application does
not have the benefit of the database authentication code in JBoss
(customer requirements specify that we can't put the password in the
repository.xml).  We've worked around the issue with for the
PersistenceManager, but I'd prefer not to have to go through the same
steps for the DatabaseJournal.

Will it corrupt the JCR database tables if the journal table is not
updated when running the failsafe configuration editor?  There would be
no other readers or writers at the time.  Once the configuration is
repaired, the failsafe app is shut-down and the JBoss cluster would be
started again.

Thanks,

Ryan Hochstetler

Senior Software Engineer