jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Sling or not Sling ?
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 16:10:49 GMT
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:27, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really a critical point. Sling is a web framework and, as such,
> is perhaps better compared with Spring MVC or Grails.
>
> Sling uses an entirely different paradigm than MVC-based frameworks. And
> whether this resource-driven paradigm works better than MVC is, to my
> mind, more a factor of the type of site/application than the display
> platform.

Sorry, but I have to fully disagree. Sling is *totally* MVC:

- model = JCR repository
- controller = Sling engine (url processing, resource + script resolution)
- view = custom rendering scripts/servlets, both for read and write (GET + POST)

The good thing is that you only have to design the model (simple, once
you got some JCR experience) and write your views. No custom fiddling
with the controller, ie. url regexp matching, OCM mappings and all
those ugly things ;-)

> Content-driven sites are an excellent match for Slin; I would not write
> a banking application with Sling.

Why not? (apart from the fact that RDBMS are 150% made for banking
applications and thus will always be a little bit better than JCR)

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek