jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Sling or not Sling ?
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 16:46:48 GMT
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 18:26, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/10 12:10 PM, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>> The good thing is that you only have to design the model (simple, once
>> you got some JCR experience) and write your views. No custom fiddling
>> with the controller, ie. url regexp matching, OCM mappings and all
>> those ugly things ;-)
> OK OK OK...

Sorry if I have been too harsh ;-) But that's a topic where I always
wanted to write a longer post about...

> From a GoF perspective, you are of course correct. But in a
> practical basis, Struts and its descendents (e.g. Spring MVC) have
> redefined MVC to mean "you write a bunch of discreet controllers and
> wire paths to them". The difference with Sling, as you point out, is
> that you (almost? always?) NEVER write controllers. This is, to me, a
> paradigm shift from the way the MVC pattern has been implemented in the
> web tier for the past decade.

Exactly. Both approach the general concept of MVC, but in two very
different ways.

> I could be wrong about this, but my experience has been that Sling is
> not recognizable as MVC to your average Struts/Spring MVC developer.

He he, they don't know what they are missing ;-)

>>> Content-driven sites are an excellent match for Slin; I would not write
>>> a banking application with Sling.
>>
>> Why not? (apart from the fact that RDBMS are 150% made for banking
>> applications and thus will always be a little bit better than JCR)
> Two reasons:
> 1) Unless I'm missing something major, Sling doesn't have any workflow
> support ala Spring WebFlow or the Drools support in Seam.

Sling's eventing can be used as a basis for the execution of
workflows, and JCR's observation is a perfect triggering mechanism.
The workflow engine in our CQ5 product is built on both (but it has
its own workflow model).

Regards,
Alex

--