jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sling or not Sling ?
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 16:59:10 GMT
On 5/17/10 12:46 PM, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 18:26, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/17/10 12:10 PM, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>>> The good thing is that you only have to design the model (simple, once
>>> you got some JCR experience) and write your views. No custom fiddling
>>> with the controller, ie. url regexp matching, OCM mappings and all
>>> those ugly things ;-)
>> OK OK OK...
>
> Sorry if I have been too harsh ;-) But that's a topic where I always
> wanted to write a longer post about...
You should... I didn't take it that harshly, but I do think there's a
big difference between MVC and "MVC". For better or worse, I've given up
on talking about the former. I recognize this is a bit lazy.

>>> Why not? (apart from the fact that RDBMS are 150% made for banking
>>> applications and thus will always be a little bit better than JCR)
>> Two reasons:
>> 1) Unless I'm missing something major, Sling doesn't have any workflow
>> support ala Spring WebFlow or the Drools support in Seam.
>
> Sling's eventing can be used as a basis for the execution of
> workflows, and JCR's observation is a perfect triggering mechanism.
> The workflow engine in our CQ5 product is built on both (but it has
> its own workflow model).
I think we're talking about two different types of workflow here. I
really meant "pageflow". Eventing/Observation are good triggers for an
asynchonous workflow (i.e. for content processing). But I'm not sure
these are that applicable for the pageflow part of, say, a bill pay
transaction (or any multi-page wizard).

That said, I see these pageflow-type workflows migrating to be almost
entirely client-side.

In any case, it's not like there's a workflow system integrated into
Sling (CQ is a different story). Whether this is something we should do
or not is a separate discussion.

Justin