jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sling or not Sling ?
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 16:26:19 GMT
On 5/17/10 12:10 PM, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:27, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is really a critical point. Sling is a web framework and, as such,
>> is perhaps better compared with Spring MVC or Grails.
>>
>> Sling uses an entirely different paradigm than MVC-based frameworks. And
>> whether this resource-driven paradigm works better than MVC is, to my
>> mind, more a factor of the type of site/application than the display
>> platform.
>
> Sorry, but I have to fully disagree. Sling is *totally* MVC:
>
> - model = JCR repository
> - controller = Sling engine (url processing, resource + script resolution)
> - view = custom rendering scripts/servlets, both for read and write (GET + POST)
>
> The good thing is that you only have to design the model (simple, once
> you got some JCR experience) and write your views. No custom fiddling
> with the controller, ie. url regexp matching, OCM mappings and all
> those ugly things ;-)
OK OK OK... From a GoF perspective, you are of course correct. But in a
practical basis, Struts and its descendents (e.g. Spring MVC) have
redefined MVC to mean "you write a bunch of discreet controllers and
wire paths to them". The difference with Sling, as you point out, is
that you (almost? always?) NEVER write controllers. This is, to me, a
paradigm shift from the way the MVC pattern has been implemented in the
web tier for the past decade.

I could be wrong about this, but my experience has been that Sling is
not recognizable as MVC to your average Struts/Spring MVC developer.

>> Content-driven sites are an excellent match for Slin; I would not write
>> a banking application with Sling.
>
> Why not? (apart from the fact that RDBMS are 150% made for banking
> applications and thus will always be a little bit better than JCR)
Two reasons:
1) Unless I'm missing something major, Sling doesn't have any workflow
support ala Spring WebFlow or the Drools support in Seam.
2) The reason you gave.

Justin