jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sling or not Sling ?
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 15:27:17 GMT
On 5/17/10 11:20 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/5/17 Hervé Agnoux <herve.agnoux@diaam-informatique.com>:
>> ...What is the benefit of Sling ? Have you develop web site with jackrabbit and
>> with / without sling, and what is your impression ?...
>
> With Sling you "just" have to write request processing scripts (in the
> language of your choice: jsp, server-side javascript, jruby, etc. or
> java servlets) and store them in specific locations in the repository
> to implement your application. Sling provides a RESTful HTTP interface
> out of the box, and you can easily customize it - it's a web framework
> built on top of a JCR repository.
>
> With Jackrabbit only, you get the JCR API, but nothing in terms of
> request handling, rendering etc. You'd have to write this or (more
> likely) use the web framework of your choice.
This is really a critical point. Sling is a web framework and, as such,
is perhaps better compared with Spring MVC or Grails.

Sling uses an entirely different paradigm than MVC-based frameworks. And
whether this resource-driven paradigm works better than MVC is, to my
mind, more a factor of the type of site/application than the display
platform.

Content-driven sites are an excellent match for Slin; I would not write
a banking application with Sling.

Justin