jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <norman.mau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException: Item cannot be saved because it has been modified externally: node /
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 05:07:54 GMT
Hi Ian,

thx for the details. So just one more question to get a better idea
about how to solve this. Is the problem the concurrent adding of nodes
via node.addNode(..) or the session.save() call ? So would it be
possible to call the addNode methods in concurrent and just
synchronize the session.save here ?

Thx,
Norman

2010/4/1 Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk>:

> On 1 Apr 2010, at 02:55, Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> I'm 100 % sure the session is not shared.
>>
>> About your (2).. I thought It should be no problem to add child nodes
>> in a multi-threading app if the name silbing of the childs are unique.
>> I'm wrong ?
>
> The problem here is deep under the covers child nodes are stored in an array that has
to be re-written when updated. So if you add a child node the entire contents of the array
is re-written, making it impossible to perform an optimistic merge of concurrent changes.

> You can concurrently modify individual child nodes, or separate properties, but you cant
concurrently add multiple child nodes to a parent node. There is discussion on dev@jackrabbit
about how JR3 will address this issue.

> Ian
>
> BTW, anyone, if I got that wrong, please correct, I dont want to spread misinformation
by mistake.

>> I will have a look at the code you posted later today..
>>

>> Thx,
>> Norman
>>

>> 2010/3/31 Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk>:
>>> There are a number of causes if its under heavy load:
>>>
>>> 1. Multiple threads (mistakenly) sharing the same session.
>>> 2. Multiple threads adding a child node the same parent node at exactly the same
time, although this might also show up as a failure to merge a modification.

>>> If operating in a cluster you may find that events from modifications on other
nodes result in the same problem as the state of the local shared cache changes in reaction
to events from other nodes.

>>> One solution is to maintain an application level, in memory lock on the parent
node to prevent concurrent modifications on the same parent node in JVM (although this doesn't
solve the cluster problem). eg [1]

>>> A better strategy is to use a retry mechanism even propagating to the client
with a suitable response code. (eg in http  409)