jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Rob Brown <rlb.so...@gmail.com>
Subject NoClassDefFoundError running embedded jackrabbit in servlet
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:29:41 GMT
Hello,

I'm getting the above mentioned error when trying to access a repository
from a servlet. I am not using the jackrabbit war because I want to ensure
all access to the repository goes through my application's code.

If I do the exact same thing from a Swing window the error does not occur.
The problem seems to be related to class loading from a servlet. I have got
the same results in Tomcat 5.5 and in the eclipse embedded web server.

To test I created a small web application. I have attached a small zip
including source code and config files (I did not include the
jackrabbit-standalone-2.0.0.
jar due to its size). The following steps will recreate the error:

start eclipse
    last tested with eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-linux-gtk.tar.gz
create a dynamic web project:
 copy index.html & repository.xml into WebContent folder
 copy web.xml into WebContent/WEB-INF folder (overwrite existing)
 copy log4j.xml into src source folder
 create test namespace under src source folder
 copy ClassDefDemoServlet.java into test namespace
 add jackrabbit-standalone-2.0.0.jar to build path
run project on server
click button on index.html
exception has 2 parts:
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/jcr/Repository
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.jcr.Repository

I found a link to a similar issue that may relate to what's happening:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=tree&goto=87658&#page_top

The first reply to this query says:
"That can happen e.g. if your class is found but it executes a static
initialiser (i.e. a public static final assignment) that uses another class
that's not exported by the system bundle."

I'm not using Equinox or anything other than Eclipse for EE developers.
Perhaps it's related to a bundle issue within jackrabbit.

I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. If accessing a repository
in this way (i.e. not using the jackrabbit war) is not a good idea perhaps
there is an alternative that allows me to channel all requests exclusively
through my servlet code.

Also thanks so much for your work on jackrabbit. In spite of the odd bump
geting started this is one of the finest libraries I have ever worked with.
I can hardly wait to finish integration testing and use it to replace our
web app's existing backend.

Rob