jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: A generic question about JackRabbit
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:56:50 GMT
Going very Nosql-ly here ;-)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:23, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps, OT, but wouldn't we still say that if data integrity is very
> important, then we still would prefer a well normalized RDBMS to a
> object oriented persistence mechanism?

Yes, but that depends on the application. There is nothing wrong by
eg. reusing a certain string (eg. "us", "uk", "switzerland") instead
of having it as a foreign key to some country table (*). This
effectively moves the ownership of the data towards the application
(developer) and away from a database maintainer / dba, which is a good
thing for fast and flexible application development as experience
shows ;-)

(*) The implementation can still intern strings to save space, and
some parts of jackrabbit do that already.

I think normalization is often thought to be absolutely fundamental
for any data schema, because it is a central part of RDBMS and this is
basically the only thing that was taught the last 20-30 years (went
this route myself). But a major reason for normalization was simply
the space constraint, it's not fundamental at all.

The same story with the ACID constraints... banking accounts are not
the only software application nowadays ;-)

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek