jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: A generic question about JackRabbit
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:21:11 GMT
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:34, Rami Ojares <rami.ojares@gmail.com> wrote:
> Early in the seventies Ted Codd published relational model as an improvement
> over the hierarchical model that had been used for data storage until then.
>
> So why do we still need a hierarchical model for data storage?

In addition to what others have said already: a major requirement for
going from files to RDBMS in the 70s was the big cost of storage back
then. Hence normalization was considered important, and the relational
model made the best use of the disk space available.

But nowadays this is different, so "denormalization" is ok. It makes
reads faster. And it is absolutely needed for large databases that
span multiple servers.

Regards,
Alex

--