jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Rakesh Vidyadharan <rak...@sptci.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 License not free? for Debian/Ubuntu inclusion
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:23:57 GMT

On 12 Mar 2010, at 11:42, Thomas Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I believe it is supposed to work both ways...
>> http://benramsey.com/archives/what-the-gpl/
>
> What do you mean with "both ways"? The link you provided doesn't say
> anything about Apache or APL.

I do not have the links saved anywhere, but I have seen similar issues related to using ASL
software as part of GPL software.  This is more for software creators, so Debian/Ubuntu etc.
probably are not affected.  What I understood from those articles were that you cannot use
a ASL library/package in a pure GPL software without exception clauses as mentioned in the
post.

> As far as I see, both Debian and Ubuntu are not strictly GPL. They
> allow a variety of licenses, including APL:
> http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Rakesh Vidyadharan
President & CEO
Sans Pareil Technologies, Inc.
http://www.sptci.com/

| 100 W. Chestnut, Suite 1305 | Chicago, IL 60610-3296 USA |