jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Cech. Ulrich" <Ulrich.C...@aeb.de>
Subject AW: Workspace - concept
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:59:04 GMT
Thank you very much for the links. I knew already DavidsModel-Page, but it was a bit theoretical,
so I hoped, that I could get some "real-life" experiences of what would be the right approach.

Best regards,
Ulrich

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alexander Klimetschek [mailto:aklimets@day.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 11:33
An: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Workspace - concept

Hi,

see previous discussions:

http://jackrabbit.markmail.org/thread/vmbqjcecolt5ar63
http://jackrabbit.markmail.org/thread/eso35utn3k3572nv
http://jackrabbit.markmail.org/thread/idajqo3mwxlnsuyr

and David's model, rule #3:

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel#Rule_.233:_Workspaces_are_for_clone.28.29.2C_merge.28.29_and_update.28.29.

Regards,
Alex

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:52, Cech. Ulrich <Ulrich.Cech@aeb.de> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I just thinking about the best way of using the workspaces in conjunction with user/rights
management for an application using JCR/Jackrabbit as storage:
> 1. Every user gets his/her own workspace
> Advantage: all data is clearly separated, the user/rights management must only deals
with workspace-wide constraints (perhaps nearly the node-wide access management can be left
out); no problem with workspace-wide indexing (I see that the workspace contains the index
of the data; if I think correct, taht would mean, that anyone can search for key words, but
some keywords perhaps should not be seen by all users)
> Disadvantage: this can be perhaps many thousends workspaces (I have no idea at the moment
if this can be handled)

> 2. One global workspace, all users connect through this workspace
> Advantage: links to other nodes in another tree-part can be established; easier handling
of this one workspace
> Disadvantage: can all users search for "keywords" which they should not see? (if the
whole index is shared by all users); more handling of ACL-constraints on the per-node-basis;
very big workspace with big index

> So, I would like to know, if someone had some experiences, which concept to use in practice
with very big data (could be about 2TB in the next 2-5 years) and many thousend users.

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com