jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Ottinger <dreamr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A generic question about JackRabbit
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:46:17 GMT
It was E.F.Codd, for one thing, and not Ted. :)

But... relational models work very well for *reporting* but not so much for
other things. They're kinda slow, for example. Hierarchical and set-related
models (document-based, ODBMS, and CODASYL dbs, respectively) are much, much
faster for some operations, and slower for others.

Relational models excel in reporting and warehousing. The rest... meh,
they're kinda slow on updates and set relationships. We're just so used to
the lack of speed that we think it's the norm.

However, if you're doing a lot of updates or your set modifications are
common, you'll typically find the other models faster, and - depending on
your taste - easier.

Certainly transaction processing is easier with nonrelational.

That's not to say that relational databases are *bad* -- they're just very
good at structured data, used for reporting, which is what they were used
for most often. Now they're seen as part of the background noise of data
storage, so everyone converts their problem into something the relational
database can use - as opposed to finding the solution that fits the problem
well.

We've decided to let our tools dictate our solutions, instead of picking our
solutions to fit our problems.

--
Joseph B. Ottinger
http://enigmastation.com