jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: Wildcard search for authorizables
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:17:02 GMT
hi eric

> I am in the process of attempting to implement an auto-complete style
> user/group picker for authorizables provided by the jackrabbit user
> manager.  It appears that the implementation of
> UserManager.findAuthorizables(..) always does an exact match of the property
> value being searched.  For my use case I need a 'contains' match.
>
> It appears that all the code is jackrabbit-core to do a non-exact match, but
> it is not surfaced in the public UserManager api.
>
> Please tell me if I have missed something obvious, but it seems like the
> jackrabbit UserManager interface should have another variation of
> findAuthorizables(..) that does a non-exact match.

yes, currently there exists no non-exact find method in the
API, because i didn't just add API methods that turn out
be useless later on...

in this particular case e.g. i wouldn't just add a variant with a
boolean 'exact' flag but rather a more sophisticated find method
that allows to specify multiple property names or relative paths
and a max-result size and an result offset... just to mention a
couple of things i imagine to be useful.

> I'm happy to provide a patch if there is agreement that this is the right
> thing to do.

feel free to provide a patch.

regards
angela