jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: UserManager peformance in 1.6
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:19:41 GMT
After doing some profiling, I think the reason is that where a user does not exist search has
to be used to verify that it does not exist prior to adding the user. Using Yourkit I see
about 55% of the time spent in the Lucene index performing a query triggered in UserManagerImpl.getUserNode(userId).

I assume that this query is needed because user nodes can exist in many places in in the repo
under /rep:security/rep:authorizables so the path cannot be inferred from the username ?

Was there some design criteria that made this necessary, and is there any way to avoid the
search on create.

I think this search must happen in every session that hasn't seen the user before which must
be slowing almost everything where these isnt a pooled session down ?

Ian

On 5 Mar 2010, at 11:08, Ian Boston wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to optimise a bit of code that adds users to jackrabbit, I have a lot of
users to load.

> Are these times unreasonable for Jackrabbit.
>
> It takes 15ms to get the user with a call like
>
>      String principalName = "newUserId"
>      Authorizable authorizable = userManager.getAuthorizable(principalName);
>
> user does not exist.
>
> It takes 44ms to create a user with a call like
>
>        User user = userManager.createUser(principalName, pass, p, prefix);
>
> prefix is something line "aa/bb/cc/dd"
>
> aa,bb,cc,dd all exist, and should be in memory and dd has < 255 children
>
> I also create about 5 other nodes add some simple ACL's and the whole operation takes
upto 250ms.

> I am a bit worried, since on in other RDBMS based  systems, that this will be compared
against, this sort of operation is faster,

> deployers need to add in the range 10K to 4M, at the top end thats going to take11 days
to load if there is no slow down.