jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Gadbury <gadb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Query vs Manual Node Iteration
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:15:58 GMT

Many thanks for the advice, Alex.  I will definitely consider implementing
your ideas, whether that is in this current project or a future one... it
sounds like it may be more disruptive and time consuming than it is worth to
now make these changes :S

I have not really found a need to have a name-readable path.  Most of my
custom nodes extend nt:unstructured and mix:referenceable and I have got in
the habit of looking up nodes by a given UUID.  My original thinking was
that if the repository structure was to change, a query can search by custom
node type (using property constraints if needs be) rather than assuming and
trying to stick to a rigid structure.  In fact, the structure has changed a
number of times throughout the project to date so path-based navigation and
retrieval would have broken numerous times.

Regarding SQL2 joins, I was disappointed with the performance of the
ISDESCENDENTNODE join on clause so ended up getting rid of it and putting a
parent reference in to the child node.  Probably most likely that I wasn't
using it properly.  I couldn't find much in the way of documentation on the
function, though.

Many thanks once again for you help.

Regards,

James