jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Storing a jackrabbit repository as versioned files in git
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:10:36 GMT
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 13:02, Premkumar Stephen <prem18@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are using the jackrabbit repository (which comes pre-built into a
> Business Rules solution - http://www.jboss.org/drools/drools-guvnor.html)
>
> Now, as a standard, we use git to store these files.

Which files? The files beneath the repository home directory? What
persistence manager do you use?

> However, because of the way jackrabbit stores them, it becomes impossible to
> do operations such as diffs, merges, etc.
>
> For those assets that are versioned, can they each be in their own file, so
> that git can take care of changes to them?

IIUC and you want to store the repository files (whatever persistence
manager and data store you are using) so that you can version them,
this is generally not possible. Jackrabbit's persistence architecture
is optimized and doesn't necessarily represent the tree structure seen
on the JCR API side. Also, it is not advisable to change those files
while Jackrabbit is running.

However, JCR has versioning built-in, so you can use that for
versioning purposes. Note that actual diff/merge tools are not
included in the JCR API (since it's too app and file format specific).

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek