jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Potential performance improvement?
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:36:34 GMT
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:05, James Abley <james.abley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious if any of the devs are familiar with zoie [1],[2] and know
> whether it might be useful in Jackrabbit?

IIUC, the additional advantage of zoie over standard Lucene is that it
makes new documents immediately available for searches by having them
integrated into the index via a temporary in-memory representation.
Thus it avoids the time it takes to merge the newly indexed data back
into the full disk-based index.

But it still needs to wait for the time it takes to actually index
documents (to make up the temporary, partial in-memory index), right?
In my experience, in practical use of Jackrabbit with binary
documents, most of the time is spent for full-text extraction from
various file-formats. That's why this is post-poned via a queue (on
demand, if it takes too long), to speed up the session.save() and
update the full-text index later. The actual process of merging index
segments is already quite fast, at least AFAIK.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek