jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Will Scheidegger <willscheideg...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 2.0.0 query language choices
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:31:06 GMT
On 18.02.2010, at 13:55, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> Well, that depends on personal choice. I think that Xpath is a very
> good fit for tree structures (and that's why I think it's sad that it
> became deprecated in JCR 2.0, albeit it will live on in Jackrabbit).

Xpath became deprecated? Missed that. And allow me to say: Why!?
Xpath is a very good choice for searching in tree structures. Things like

/jcr:root/path/to/elements//element(*, elementType)[path/to/subelement/@attribute = 'value']

are not possible with SQL. Don't know about SQL2 or JQOM though... but xpath is very powerful.
The only negative thing about it that I can think of is that queries on paths with path segments
beginning with a number don't work that easily.

Does anyone know what the reasons were for deprecating Xpath in JCR 2.0?

-will