jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit 2.0.0 query language choices
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:24:29 GMT
I'm starting to implement some search functionality in my application.
 I'm confronted with the choice between four supported query
languages:  sql, xpath, jcr-sql2 and jcr-jqom.

I understand how these languages all sit on top of the AQM.  And I
understand what each of them is . . . I'm familiar with xpath and sql
from previous work.  And I've read the specification to understand
what the programmatic jqom is.  In fact, I've implemented some simple
search with it already.

My question is . . . what are some criteria that might guide a
developer to make a choice of one of the four.

1) Performance ?  Is there any difference in performance?

2) Ease of use . . . is there any sense that the ease of use varies among them?

3) Functionality . . . are there any differences in functionality?

4) Other differentiating factors ?  Are there any other reasons to
consider when making a selection from the four?  I would assume
developer familiarity is a obvious one, others?