jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@writingshow.com>
Subject Re: RepositoryCopier and power breakdown
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:19:11 GMT
Sascha.Theves@innovations.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> we use the RepositoryCopier to backup our repository. That works good
> for us until we had a power breakdown during the backup process. The
> RepositoryCopier was copying the repository when the power cuts off. The
> next start of Jackrabbit was unsuccessful. We could not start Jackrabbit
> anymore until we deleted the lucene indexes from disc. After that it
> seems that jackrabbit works correctly.
>

> My question is: Is there a potential risk of data corruption (or data
> loss) in jackrabbit when a power breakdown occurs? Is that issue related
> to the RepositoryCopier or could we get the same error without it?

You don't say what O/S you are using, but I think the best advice here
is invest in an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
The most probable cause of your original problem was that filing system
updates had not been flushed to disk. That has nothing to do with
Lucene, Jackrabbit,
Java or even the operating system.

Providing power backup is the only sensible practice when dealing with
sensitive data.

Regards

Alan Chaney