jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Peter Dotchev <dotc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:15:41 GMT

Hi,

After reading this whole discussion, I'm still not convinced that SNS are
bad.

If they are inefficient, that is an implementation issue that should be
addressed in the proper place.

As seen in this discussion even if you want you can't come with really
meaningful paths due to name conflicts and changes over time.
Actually if you want to avoid SNS you have to come up with (locally but
still) unique names.
- These are essentially id's which contradicts rule #7
- It gets more complicated as you have to implement some algorithm to
generate unique names and most probably you have to deal with concurrency
issues. Is it really necessary?

I would not consider path stable, so I use UUID in URLs.

While meaningful paths would be nice I don't think they are so important. I
think in most cases users are not interacting directly with the repository
but with some (web) application which uses the repository as storage
back-end.

Generally I think the concept here is pretty simple.
I have a collection with a bunch of entities. I don't need and don't want to
name them. Each entity has some properties. I just want to add, remove,
query and edit them.
There should be a straightforward way to achieve this.

Best regards,
Peter