jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From ChadDavis <chadmichaelda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR-RMI 1.5 with Jackrabbit 2.0
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:26:33 GMT
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Alexander Klimetschek <aklimets@day.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 21:54, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm having problem creating a Binary value.  I searched this list and
>> discovered that the JCR-RMI package simply doesn't support this 2.0
>> feature.  The old thread suggests that the RMI stuff might not ever be
>> updated to support the full 2.0 functionality.  Is this true?
>>
>> Is there any way to create Binary properties with JCR-RMI 1.5 and
>> Jackrabbit 2.0 ??
>
> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRRMI-25
>
> There is currently a discussion going on about the future of jcr-rmi.
> I would say it's open at the moment:
> http://markmail.org/thread/nsew3rbdae63tsdi But if it is to be
> continued (volunteers are always welcome!), JCR 2.0 support is
> definitely the next step.

If I were compelled to push on with the RMI network layer, I would
definitely volunteer to help.  On the other hand, it seems that the
SPI based remoting is the much preferred, more performant path.  If
so, I don't see why I would choose the road less travelled.  I've
already experienced one major and unexpected obstacle due to this.
Would you agree with my assessment of the SPI components as the
preferred method of remoting?