jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@day.com>
Subject Re: looking for versioning and branching documentation or tests
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 22:24:02 GMT
Hi,
a branch is created when you perform a checkin on a node that has a
base version which has successors.
for example, if you have:

v1.0 -> v1.1 -> v1.2 -> v1.3

and you restore the node to v1.2 (i.e. set it's base version to 1.2),
and then checkout, checkin, a new version v1.2.1 is created, which has
v1.2 as predecessor and v1.2 has v1.3 and v1.2.1 as successor.

although you can create branches without having a 2nd workspace, for
merging you need one.
so you need to have a corresponding versionable node in the 2nd
workspace where you can merge against.
but there is no application logic behind the merging, e.g. like in svn
where the text files are "merged". so no content is actually merged,
but only the 2 version branches are brought together again.

in the above example, if node in ws1 has base version v1.3 and its
corresponding node in ws2 has base version v.1.2.1 and you merge them,
you'll get v1.4 that hase v1.3 and v1.2.1 as predecessors.

hope this helps.
regards, toby