jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Practical limitations on the number of workspaces
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:58:51 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Alan Chaney <alan@writingshow.com> wrote:
> ...I'm a complete newbie to using Jackrabbit. I'm designing a system in which I
> intend to manage a very large number of multimedia assets using JR
> workspaces as libraries. The library would have different node types
> depending upon the type of asset, which can be of various types, from a few
> lines of text to multi-megabyte binary files...

Not sure if you need node types for that, my first impression is that
a property (a la mime-type or something) on the asset should be enough
to differentiate them. Or maybe a mixin, which can help in searches,
but different node types might be too constraining.

> ...1. I could implement the domain objects for the workbench and use an ORM...

> ...2. I could implement the "workbench" domain structure as jackrabbit nodes...

Option 2 sounds much better to me, the JCR API is clean and powerful
enough that you usually don't need to map it to objects, see recent
discussion about that at http://markmail.org/message/wmqggzrxwxearmyh

> ...and have one workspace for each user....

Probably not, a tree structure sounds more appropriate, maybe something like

/assets
  /library
    ...library assets go here, chronological tree structure?
  /users
    /b
      /bob
       ...bob's assets, chronological tree structure?
      /bill
    /f
      /frank
      /felix

etc..

In my opinion, thinking in terms of "how would I do that in a
filesystem" is often a good starting point with JCR, and you can then
add extra properties and nodes where needed for richer metadata than
what you'd get in a filesystem.

-Bertrand

 This may be 1000s of users