jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Andrey Adamovich <andrey.adamov...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Journalling (does it work?)
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 08:00:29 GMT
Hi guys!

Can anyone, please, comment at least on these points from below mail:

2) Is it true that "journaling" has locking issues because of only one instance of "journal"
accessed by repository?
As far as I see it is the case as when multiple save operations happen then they will effectively
become sequential because of single ReentrantWriterPreferenceReadWriteLock held by a single
instance of journal accessed by different threads despite of the JCR nodes they are updating.

4) What is the logical/practical limit on the number of cluster nodes participating in "journaling"?

As far as I see because of the locking mechanism described above the more cluster nodes we
add the worse it will behave when there is a certain amount of save operations happen on each
cluster node.

5) Are there any ideas floating in JR community on how to implement "less-locking" journal?

Am I totally wrong on all these points? Is there any practical/production experience someone
can share? Any help is really appreciated.

Best regards,
Andrey

________________________________
From: Andrey Adamovich <andrey.adamovich@yahoo.com>
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Sent: Mon, 14 December, 2009 14:14:00
Subject: Journalling (does it work?)

Hello JR users and developers!

Recently we have faced a problem with journalling that seems to resemble the one reproduced
in JCR-1846 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1846). But that defect is closed and
said to be fixed since 1.5.2, but we are using 1.5.5.

And in relation to that I have several questions:
1) Is "journaling" recommended for production use?
2) Is it true that "journaling" has locking issues because of only one instance of "journal"
accessed by repository?
3) Is it possible to overcome the limitation we have faced and described in JCR-1846 and make
journal do its job?
4) What is the logical/practical limit on the number of cluster nodes participating in "journaling"?
5) How smart or risky is it to implement our own "journaling"?

Best regards,
Andrey