jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Dennis van der Laan <d.g.van.der.l...@rug.nl>
Subject Re: bundle PM versus db PM (and clustering)
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:16:06 GMT
Hi,
>>> classes may explain HOW they work, but it's unclear for me which one is
>>> the most appropriate one to use.
>>>

> See http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

Thanks Thomas. I saw this, too. But when browsing all the information on
the Wiki, I really get confused about which information is up-to-date,
if there is any. A problem a lot of open source projects suffer from, I
guess.
Alexander said he thinks a FileSystem is not used, in conjunction with a
SimpleDB PM (my configuration at the moment), so it would be save to
just switch to a local filesystem implementation. He pointed me to [1],
which says FileSystem is only used by some parts of Jackrabbit.
I checked the database and I see entries in the globally shared
filesystem (records for /meta/rootUUID, /meta/rep.properties,
/namespaces/ns_reg.properties, /namespaces/ns_idx.properties and
/nodetypes/custom_nodetypes.xml).

The persistence manager FAQ [2] says BundlePMs are usually the fastest,
and are used in conjunction with either a LocalFileSystem or a
DbFileSystem, so according to this it seems a FileSystem is still needed.

The clustering documentation [3] states each cluster node needs its own
(private) FileSystem and all nodes must store their data in the same
globally accessible location.

When I have one cluster node with a repository which already has some
data, and I add a new node to the cluster with a different DbFileSystem,
after the new node has updated its state and is in sync with the
repository, when accessing the repository through the new node I get an
exception the node does not know my custom namespace configuration. When
using the same DbFileSystem configuration for all nodes, I don't get
this exception and all seems to work well... But it doesn't feel right,
because I don't know what the effects might be. If I would use a
database-bundle-PM in a cluster setup, do I need a shared (Db)FileSystem
or would it be better to use a local filesystem and do I have to
configure my custom nodetypes on every cluster node separately?

Thanks,
Dennis

--
Dennis van der Laan