jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Guo Du <mrdu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Garbage Collection not deleting until restart of server
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:26:12 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Thomas Müller <thomas.mueller@day.com> wrote:
> I think it's better to document the problem than trying to solve it,
> specially because it's almost impossible to solve it. I have
> documented it now at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore#Data_Store_Garbage_Collection

It's good enough to know the limitation and thank you very much to
document this.

>> Normal application code shouldn't aware of System.gc.
> I believe that normal applications don't need to reclaim the disk
> space _immediately_. Normal applications don't need to call
> System.gc().
I believe GarbageCollector will only be invoked by management tasks
when there is a requirement to release the space. It won't be
_immediately_ for normal user or process.

As it's already been documented, there is no challenge to use System.gc().

Thanks!

--Guo