jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR-RMI, SPI, WEBDAV, and Sling's REST
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:22:29 GMT
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 22:36, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a hard time sorting out deployment information from the web
> site.  In perusing the mailing list, I find people recommending WEBDAV
> or Sling as alternatives to JCR-RMI for remote communication with the
> repository.
>
> I'm confused by this.  Basically, I want a reference to the Repository
> object so I can code against the JCR API.  How, then, are these HTTP,
> and other higher level protocols, seen as alternatives?

Depending on your use case, an HTTP-level interface such as the Sling
POST and GET servlets provide can be sufficient to work with the
repository from eg. browser-based clients.

> I want to know what my options are for deploying jackrabbit in it's
> own JVM, then connecting to it and coding agains the JCR API.  Does
> SPI provide this?  Surely, I can't get this from WEBDAV or Sling, can
> I?

There are two Webdav implementations in Jackrabbit: one is the simple
webdav server which presents the repository like a file system, with
built-in support for nt:folder and nt:file and customizable handlers
for other nodetypes.

The other Webdav is the JCR webdav server, which provides the full JCR
API capabilities if used by a jcr2spi + spi2dav client setup. SPI =
service provider interface (yes, a quite generic name) is a simpler
version of the JCR API with the possibility of batch operations,
useful for improving performance over remoting. There is a generic
jcr2spi client that maps the JCR API onto the spi API. The spi2dav is
an spi API implementation that connects to the JCR webdav server,
which itself sits on top of the actual Jackrabbit repository (using
the JCR API itself).

See also http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-spi.html

Regards,
Alex