jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Müller <thomas.muel...@day.com>
Subject Re: Garbage Collection not deleting until restart of server
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:10:33 GMT
Hi,

> I would suggest move System.gc operation into GarbageCollector.

I think it's better to document the problem than trying to solve it,
specially because it's almost impossible to solve it. I have
documented it now at
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore#Data_Store_Garbage_Collection

> As when we call the deleteUnused(), we expect it should do the job.

Unfortunately, with the current Jackrabbit implementation, it's not
possible to guarantee that. The weak references map is required,
because the node with the binary might not be persisted yet.

> Normal application code shouldn't aware of System.gc.

I believe that normal applications don't need to reclaim the disk
space _immediately_. Normal applications don't need to call
System.gc().

Regards,
Thomas