jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Fabián Mandelbaum <fmandelb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: workspaces, multiple repositories
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:07:23 GMT
Branches, revision/version history, etc. are concepts that come from
version control systems (like cvs, svn, etc.) are you familiar with
those?

Basically what Guo Du tried to tell you is that you shouldn't (mustn't
actually) use different workspaces to separate different users
(clients, applications, whatever_it's_called_in_your_case) because
there's certain information that's shared among the workspaces
(branches, version history, etc.) and also because the creators of JCR
advise against it stating that "that's not what workspaces were meant
for".

I suggest you read Mr. Nuescheler's "David's Model..." at

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel

As for the single repository with multiple apps, yes, separating each
app on its own branch of the repository tree is a possible solution.
So, you'll have something like this stored:

/
/AppA
/AppA/some/content/for/AppA
/AppB
/AppB/some/content/for/AppB
/AppC
/AppC/some/content/for/AppC
/AppZ

and so on. You'll have to provide mechanisms, either in JCR itself, or
on your application sitting on top of it, to make sure each
application can only access content under its own branch, for security
reasons.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more.

--
Fabián Mandelbaum