jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Branching
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:34:07 GMT
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 05:41, Robin Batra <robin.batra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are  there any pointers for implementing Merge operation in Jackrabbit as
> provided by CVS. Because what i have noticed is that the CVS merges the
> changes in the user's local workspace and after that the user has to
> manually commit the changes where as Node.merge() commits the changes
> directly in the Repository thus creating the next version.
> Am i right about this?

Yes, the "workspace" concept in JCR is something different than the
"local workspace" concept in version control systems. It is similar to
how some relational databases (eg. Oracle) provide versioning (and
branching), effectively calling a "branch" a "workspace".

Typically I would always see the repository as the server for a
revision control system. But since versioning is per-node (or
per-tree), you could have both the central repository and the "local"
user checkouts all within the repository. A commit would then be a
copy to the central plus then some versioning operations there.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek