jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: workspaces, multiple repositories
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:25:23 GMT
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 15:01, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, I'm familiar with those.  But I thought Guo meant that
> workspaces should be used for branches, which to me sounds like I, as
> a developer, am supposed to use a workspace to create the effect of
> "branches".  This sounds strange to me because I know that the JCR
> handles Version Control for me, so why would I have to use workspaces
> to do branches?

First of all, you are not forced to use versioning (that has to be
enabled per node via the mix:versionable mixin). Just use a workspace
and use the content hierarchy to separate your apps, content, users,
etc. (unix filesystem is a good example).

When you start versioning, branching is often not required at all, as
it makes versioning more complex. For example, in the context of
content management systems, a linear set of versions of a page is
often all it needs (and what end-users can still easily understand).
That's why JCR 2.0 introduced a simple versioning as well.

Now if you do need to do branches, then you have to use a second
workspace, which contains a clone of your content data. As part of
that cloning, branches will be created for those nodes that are
versioned.

Regards,
Alex

--