jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Paul PODGORSEK <The_Wizard_of_wind...@hotmail.com>
Subject Using JackRabbit on a server with high traffic
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:53:26 GMT

Hello,

I wanted to know if some of you are using JackRabbit on a server
used by many users (about 35 single users per minute).
I am currently getting
problems on my application because it seems JackRabbit doesn't respond quickly
enough.
Is JackRabbit supposed to be working with
high traffic, or should it only be used as a kind of
datawarehouse?

Moreover, if it indeed can handle many connections at the
same time, what could explain the bottleneck that comes from JackRabbit? Having
had a look at the source code, I am wondering whether the synchronized methods
in the
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.bundle.AbstractBundlePersistenceManager
class aren't causing our problems. As far as I have looked, it seems only one
user can access the repository at a time (this seems very strange!). Am I right?
If yes, does someone know why it behaves that way?

I was also wondering if changing the locking policy could be a good
idea: our application on the server only reads content in JackRabbit (the
content is written into the repository via a separate batch, so there is no need
to synchronize read / write outside the batch). Do you think I could improve
performances by only giving a "fake" lock that doesn't lock anything when we try
to read content in the repository?

Last question: it is possible to specify a cache size in the org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.bundle.OraclePersistenceManager
(see the attached jackrabbit-repository.xml file). Is
it a cache of objects fetched from the repository? or does it cache
something else instead? Why do we need to give a max amount of memory to use,
instead of giving a max number of objects in the cache? (like ehcache
does)

The application is running on a WebLogic server and all content is stored into an Oracle database.

I also added our repository configuration file to this email (we are using a 1.6 patched version
of JackRabbit).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you very much.

Kind
regards,
Paul.
Nouveau! Découvrez le Windows phone Samsung Omnia II disponible chez SFR.
http://clk.atdmt.com/FRM/go/175819072/direct/01/