jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "philipp.thiemann" <p.thiem...@headframe-it.de>
Subject Storing large blobs in mysql
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:51:13 GMT

Hello everybody,

I am using Jackrabbit 1.5.5 (Core) for a project that is storing and
processing large blob files (~100MB).

My local environment consists of a Windows XP, Apache Tomcat 6.0.20 , MySQL
5.1.38 and MySQL Connector 5.1.8.

When storing blobs with a size > ~10MB I get a CommunicationsException from
the database, leaving the blob file unstored in jackrabbit (of course).
The MySQL parameter "max_allowed_packet" is already increased to 128MB (this
is not my problem anymore;-) The error message is different now!).
I have also disabled firewall and anti virus software with no effect.

The only way I got things to work as a workaround was using a FileDataStore
for JR (see my repo config below).
But this has the disadvantage of needing a common SAN when used in a
clustered environment (JR cluster journal is stored in database!) what we
will to do in the next weeks.
As we plan to host the cluster nodes on different servers in different
networks, the SAN issue might pose a killer criterion.

Here are my questions:
 - Has anyone experienced a similar problem with large blobs on mysql?
 - Are there any other mysql parameters being useful?
 - Do the same effects occur with other databases as well?
 - What kind of database system would you propose for managing large blobs
(--> performance)?
 - Could this just be a "free memory" issue on my local machine?

Regards,
Philipp

------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE Repository PUBLIC "-//The Apache Software Foundation//DTD
Jackrabbit 1.4//EN" "http://jackrabbit.apache.org/dtd/repository-1.4.dtd">
<Repository>
  <FileSystem class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

  </FileSystem>
  <Security appName="Jackrabbit">
    <AccessManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.security.SimpleAccessManager"></AccessManager>
    <LoginModule
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.security.SimpleLoginModule">

    </LoginModule>
  </Security>
  <Workspaces rootPath="${rep.home}/workspaces" defaultWorkspace="default"
/>
  <DataStore class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.FileDataStore">

  </DataStore>
  <Workspace name="default">
    <FileSystem class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

    </FileSystem>
    <PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.bundle.MySqlPersistenceManager">

      <!-- warning, this is not the schema name, it's the db type -->

    </PersistenceManager>
    <SearchIndex

    </SearchIndex>
  </Workspace>
  <Versioning rootPath="${rep.home}/version">
    <FileSystem class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem">

    </FileSystem>
    <PersistenceManager
class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.bundle.MySqlPersistenceManager">

      <!-- warning, this is not the schema name, it's the db type -->

    </PersistenceManager>
  </Versioning>
  <!--
  	!!!Achtung!!!: Als NodeId wird das absolute Installationsverzeichnis fuer
die Instanz verwendet.
  	Bei Verteilung auf mehrere Server ist darauf zu achten, dass alle
Anwendungen in global eindeutigen
  	Verzeichnissen liegen (z.B. .../shonx1/, .../shonx2/, .../shonx3/, ... ,
.../shonx8/)

  	Allgemeine Hinweise zum JR-Cluster siehe:
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering
  -->
  <Cluster id="cluster_${rep.home}" syncDelay="2000">
    <Journal class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.journal.DatabaseJournal">

      <!-- warning, this is not the schema name, it's the db type -->

    </Journal>
  </Cluster>
</Repository>